Sci-fi Short-Short Story 1st



Nothing could stop them.
A 550 Short Story By
Mark A West


The entire world’s military might had failed. Even nuclear weapons were useless.

The armed forces did not give up. Secret weapons from Area 51 were also brought in to the fray and used against the monsters. But still, nothing worked.

I watched, as I was confident in the humans’ abilities. But they were dying. The invaders were winning. The humans were losing me.

Every time the invaders hit, they decimated a city. Every time they fired, they vaporised millions of people.

It was my turn. Belief in me was fading.

The Strange alien ships bombarded the city I was in with an advanced weapon that never seemed to miss. Everyone and everything turned to rubble and dust, except me.

I knew what they were. I knew why they were here.

They are genetically engineered life forms. They are a mistake. They annihilated their evil creators and came to claim this unique planet. These monsters believe that they are descended from Dinosaurs, and they want their planet back.

It is not theirs. It was never theirs. A lie was told to them.

I cleared away the dust and opened my eyes. I got to my feet and looked around. I saw a monster not too far away. It was staring at me.

I cleared my throat of the bitter dust and headed towards it.

It spoke in a language no human would understand, but I am no human.

“How did you survive?” It obviously did not expect an answer.

“You missed me.” I said to it, in its own language.

Startled, it said, “Who are you?”

“This is not your planet. It never was. If you leave, I could help you find another place. If you stay you will suffer the same death of those you have killed here today.”

It listened, and then it left using some sort of teleport beam, like from a Star trek episode.

I am an optimist, it is in my nature, and I wished that they had sense and were going to leave. I was wrong. I was frequently wrong about those who are infected with DESIRE, as they do not see sense.

They attacked and they “missed”. They tried and tried with all their weapons, but contrary to belief, I cannot die.

When they finally finished I waited and waited. I got bored of being watched by them, so I boldly demanded their leader to appear. He did.

“Who are you?” it said.

“You don’t you have me in you. You only have DESIRE.” I said, “Are you going to leave?”

“We will not! Who are you?” I could see its growing fear and puzzlement.

“I can help you if you give up DESIRE.”

“Who are you?” it said again.

The exchange went on for an hour. But I did not give up.

“Your entire race is here. You have two choices; all of you can die or I WILL help you the same way as I help humans.”

I could see that it believed me. They now had little part of me in them and a little less DESIRE.

“We will go.”

As the leader turned to leave I said, “Do you want the answer to your question?” It turned to face me and seemed to nod.

“I am HOPE.

No comments:

Post a Comment